SPECIAL MACHNING ALLOYS
OSNA-Cu58® has been specially developed for cutting purposes. It is a low-alloyed copper material based on technically oxygen-free copper added with tellurium or sulphur. These additions considerably improve the cutting properties of copper without loss of its other typical properties, especially conductivity.
When it comes to machine cutting pure copper shows difficulties. The formation of long pure copper chips slows down the operation when drilling and turning, and results in rapid deterioration of cutting tools. When using CNC-control, and on conventional autolathes, the processing of pure copper is normally not efficient in terms of time, manpower and tooling. Here OSNA-Cu58® is a perfect combination that offers excellent cutting properties and high electrical and thermal conductivity.
OSNA-Cu58® has achieved an excellent record in many areas of industry. It is ideal for the economical manufacture of:
- bases for diodes and thyristors
- torch tips in gas welding
- screws, nuts, contact and fixtures in electrical engineering
- miniature plug-and-socket connectors and other small parts in electronics
- screwed pipe connections, cut fittings and similar parts when used instead of machining brass in cases where higher corrosion resistance is required
OSNA-Cu58® has excellent machining properties. In particular the cutting properties of OSNA-Cu58®Te are much closer to those of machining brass than of unalloyed copper as shown in the chart below.