Select language:

The KME Yorkshire History

The British Yorkshire Copper Tube company has been part of the KME Group since 2002

1864
Foundation of Broughton Copper Co.
1889
Elmore’s Patent Copper Depositing Company, Leeds formed
1902
Elmore and its successors become Leeds Copper Works (and later Yorkshire Copper Works)
1934
ICI Metals purchases Broughton Copper Co., Salford, Manchester
1934
Yorkshire Copper Works introduces the ‘Yorkshire’ capillary fitting for plumbing
1948
ICI selects Kirkby, Liverpool as the site for a new copper tube plant and work begins
1950
First tubes produced
1954/5
Broughton plant closed
1955
Kirkby plant officially opened
1958
Yorkshire Imperial Metals formed, jointly owned by ICI Metals Division and Yorkshire Copper Works, based in Leeds. Kirkby works becomes part of this company.
1964
Kirkby factory extended with the construction of ‘C’Bay
1968
YIM becomes wholly owned by Imperial Metal Industries Ltd (new company formed from ICI Metals)
1971
First “spinner” drawing machines installed in ‘C’Bay
1977
IMI floated off from ICI as a separate plc
1981/2
Installation of new 5000T press
1983
Yorkshire Copper Tube Ltd set up as a separate company with its own directors, sales and administration. Includes Barrhead, Scotland re-drawing tube factory, which had been part of Yorkshire Copper Works before 1958
1986
Major investment programme begins with complete re-equipment of ‘B’ Bay with state-of-the-art Schumag and “spinner” drawing machines and automated handling equipment
1991
Programme continues with work in ‘A’Bay, with the aim of supplying growing export markets round the world
1992
Closure of Barrhead copper tube works and all production is now concentrated at Kirkby
1993
Official opening of re-equipped Kirkby factory
2002
Ownership of Yorkshire Copper Tube Ltd transferred from IMI to KM Europa Metal
2003-2008
Integration of Yorkshire Copper Tube Ltd into KME Group, with ongoing investment programmes and efficiency improvements. Name changed to KME Yorkshire Ltd
USEFUL LINKS

All the phases of KME development are described in the section on the Group's History.

 

 
 
Copyright ® 1999-2013 KME Italy S.p.A. - All rights reserved
Legal notices | Privacy policy | KME News RSS-Feed | Contact us | Photo credits
KME | Via dei Barucci 2, 50127 Firenze | Tel. +39 055-44111 | Fax +39 055-4411 240 | P.iva IT04528110481 | E-Mail: info@kme.com