KME makes a significant contribution to climate protection with sustainable corporate measures. The transformation of production methods and associated operational processes is in focus of the targeted development towards climate neutrality. Copper is the basis of all entrepreneurial activities of KME. The handling of this sustainable material is a commitment to ecologically sensible action.
Due to its outstanding technical and environmentally friendly properties, copper is indispensable for the energy transition and the generally envisaged transformation to climate neutrality. Above all, its unlimited recyclability makes the material particularly climate-friendly.
With its certified energy management according to ISO 50001, KME makes an important industrial contribution to the conservation of resources.
Numerous pioneering measures for the use of innovative recycling technologies as well as for closing material cycles, increasing the recycling rate and recovering heat have already been implemented. Results and benefits far exceed the industry standard. Today, we already rely on a very high recycling rate of over 70% in our foundries.
KME ECOLOGICAL COPPER
KME offers the market a material with a particularly climate-friendly CO₂ balance, which is ensured by the use of exclusively secondary raw materials (100% copper scrap). We thus avoid the use of new metals, which are highly energy-intensive in production.
KME SUSTAINABILITY REPORT 2020
This report, which will be published soon, summarises all of the company's activities to date with regard to the goal of climate neutrality.
KME has been working continuously for many years on process optimisations to avoid environmental pollution. Currently, various development projects are creating the technological prerequisites for replacing fossil fuels with renewable energy sources to an even greater extent. Already today, more than 60% of the electricity used comes from renewable energies.
A roadmap for climate neutrality for KME is currently being drawn up. After identifying the necessary technological prerequisites, the corresponding measures will be developed. The solutions go beyond the current state of the art and are partially not yet available for the processes of the non-ferrous industry.
METALS PRO CLIMATE
The initiative "Metals pro Climate" illustrates the contribution of the non-ferrous metals industry to climate protection through scientific and technology-based solutions. The industry's savings potential is an essential factor in industrial activities against global warming. Chairman of the initiative is Ulrich Becker, CEO of KME Group.
- KME continues to work on the continuous improvement of energy efficiency in all operational areas.
- The CO2 emission values of the company and its products are completely recorded and balanced. Participation in various benchmarking projects in the copper industry ensures a correct status assessment at all times.
- As part of the CDP sustainability ranking, we report our CO₂ emissions on a voluntary basis. The CDP is a non-profit organisation that promotes transparent climate reporting.
- By committing to the Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi), we oblige to set a science-based climate target to reduce our CO₂ emissions, which will contribute to limiting global warming to 1.5 °C in accordance with the Paris Agreement and to become climate-neutral by 2050 at the latest.
- For the efficient realisation of the company's goal of climate neutrality, KME works together with competent external partners. Customers and suppliers are also involved in order to achieve the most far-reaching results possible.